When we start to age the skin can become thin, wrinkled and elasticity diminishes. We can develop jowls, heavy eyelids and sunken areas in the face where volume is lost such as the cheeks.
The key factors of skin ageing are the loss of hyaluronic acid, elastin and collagen, the building blocks of youthful and hydrated skin tissue and environmental factors such as heavy pollution and sun damage and health choices such as smoking and excessive drinking.
Dermal fillers are now commonly used as an effective, non-surgical treatment for facial and body rejuvenation. Dr Riccardo Frati is a specialist in administering dermal fillers for a wide variety of skin concerns.
Dermal fillers tend to be made from Hyaluronic acid, a naturally occurring sugar within the body which, when injected, augments tissue and acts as a volumising, plumping substance within the skin. Facial dermal fillers have had a significant rise in their use for aesthetic reasons, namely to help correct skin conditions which develop as a result of the natural ageing process.
1) Sleep lines
2) Frown or glabella lines
3) Tear troughs / Tired eyes
4) Nasal- labial folds (nose to mouth lines)
5) Earlobe reshaping
6) Nose reshaping
7) Lip volume / Lip definition
8) Cheekbones and malar augmentation (volume loss)
9) Philtrum and peri-oral wrinkles
10) Mouth corners
11) Marionette lines
12) Vermillion boarder (smokers or lip lines)
13) Chin augmentation
15) Backs of the hands
16) Feet (feet fillers)
17) Masseter injections (square jaw)
If you are considering dermal fillers as a treatment, you will need to undergo an examination and consultation with Dr Frati, prior to any procedure. Dr Frati will discuss all your concerns and examine the areas to be treated to ascertain whether dermal fillers would be the solution for you. He will also take a full medical history to ensure you are fit and healthy enough for the treatment.
Following consultation with Dr Frati, a treatment plan is devised (possibly in conjunction with other treatments as a holistic protocol) to give you the results that you are looking to achieve. The areas to be treated will be marked and you may be given several injections of anaesthetic or a topical, dermal anaesthetic to numb the area. However, many dermal fillers now contain Lidocaine which acts as the injection is being administered so there is no need for prior numbing treatments. The injections will be administered in the areas to be treated and a cold compress will be applied immediately afterwards. This process takes between 30-60 minutes.
You will be advised by Dr Frati on the aftercare of your individual treatment, however, general guidelines are:
• Don’t apply make up for 12 hours unless mineral powder based
• Don’t drink anything too hot or cold (if you have had a lip treatment) as you will be numb and won’t be able to feel whether the beverage is too hot or cold.
• Mild swelling, bruising and redness in injection sites is normal, you can continue with a cold compress at home and take Paracetamol to ease any discomfort.
• Use perfume free moisturiser if you have any dry skin or a product recommended by Dr Frati.
The longevity of results vary depending on the individual patient, the product used and the areas that have been treated. Modern dermal fillers, though temporary, do tend to last longer than previously developed products and you can expect from 6-24 months’ results time. However, Dr Frati will manage your expectations in this area and will advise on how long you should wait before coming for treatment again.