Cosmetic nose surgery (rhinoplasty) is one of the most popular plastic surgeries in the world. The reason for this is that changing the shape, size and symmetry of the nose can make a huge impact on someone’s appearance. If the nose is too large for the face, crooked or a less than pleasing shape, it can create a less than harmonious appearance for the facial anatomy.
Dr Frati is one of the world’s leading experts in rhinoplasty and has performed thousands of nasal cosmetic surgeries, both in the UK and overseas. The beautiful results that he can achieve are all down to Dr Frati’s experience as a highly-qualified, respected plastic surgeon. However, it’s not just the skill and experience of your surgeon that can determine the very best results from your rhinoplasty; obtaining optimum results does in part, rely on your dedication to care for yourself following surgery and to adhere to some simple aftercare instructions that Dr Frati will give you, prior to your procedure and indeed, before you leave the clinic after surgery.
It’s important to be well-informed and suitably prepared for your surgery. Therefore we have listed some of the important aftercare guidelines that you’ll be asked to follow, after your rhinoplasty.
- After your operation, keep your head elevated. This will help to reduce bleeding and swelling.
If you have packing material and splints in your nose, following your surgery it’s important to make sure that they remain in place until such a time when they are removed or changed, in-clinic.
- Be prepared for some bleeding to occur after your surgery and don’t panic if this happens. However, if your nose continually bleeds and you are concerned, never feel embarrassed to give the clinic a call and discuss your symptoms with our clinical team.
- Don’t blow your nose for at least a week after surgery. You will need to let the tissues settle and for healing to take place. Blowing the nose can disrupt delicate vessels as well as potentially break any stitching that is in place.
- You can bathe or take showers a day after your surgery. However, it’s important not to let the shower spray strike your nose or have the water too hot.
- Avoid the sun and wear a high factor sun cream for at least 6 months after surgery.
- Avoid strenuous activities such as jogging and aerobics so that the tissues within your nose can heal properly.
- Around 3 to 7 days after your rhinoplasty, you will be asked to return for a follow-up visit. During this visit, Dr Frati will remove any packing and ensure that your nose is healing well and according to plan. He will then if required, offer you more instructions on how to care for your nose and sinuses.
If you are seriously considering rhinoplasty to correct and improve the shape or size of your nose, remember that your dedication to follow aftercare advice will assist in not only the healing of your nose after surgery, but ensuring that you get the very best results for many years to come.